Amanda WartonMany Americans turn to doctor-prescribed "quick fixes" like pills for chronic health problems like high cholesterol. Research into preventative medicine says that a healthy diet every day will keep us disease-free naturally - avoiding unnecessary doctor visits, expense, and side effects.

Here are some "superfoods" and their often overlooked healthy qualities:
  • Foods with low cholesterol content help prevent cardiovascular disease. Lettuce is low in cholesterol AND contains only 3 percent carbohydrates. This combination helps lower blood sugar level, in turn helping prevent diabetes.
  • French Beans are rich in fiber with a reasonable amount of complex carbohydrates. They lower blood sugar level and are a great source of non-animal protein.
  • Soya Beans help diabetic patients regulate the elevated glucose levels in their urine. Soya beans are rich in proteins and low in carbohydrates.
  • Onion and garlic have significant blood sugar lowering action. The principal active ingredients are believed to be allyl propyl disulphide (APDS) and diallyl disulphide oxide (allicin), although their flavonoids may play a role as well. Clinical evidence suggests that APDS lowers glucose levels by competing with insulin for insulin-inactivating sites in the liver. Onion and garlic are shown to reduce serum cholesterol levels as well.
  • Cinnamon triples insulin's efficiency

Let's compile a list of disease-fighting foods! Please reply to this thread with your favorites.

Washington, DC - 7 yearss ago
Conny JasperOnion and garlic are my favorites! Some people don't care for hot pepper, but I find it very healing. I have not had a cold or flu in three years.
Somerset, NJ - 7 yearss ago
Sara Greenberg
HERBS are the most overlooked superfoods out there, and so easy to grow in garden or windowsill!

Think of it - oregano is so dark & green, and grows like a weed. The same properties that allow it to take over a corner of your garden & thrive are beneficial to humans too!

On a per gram fresh weight basis, oregano has demonstrated 42 times more antioxidant activity than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries.

Obviously it's great on pizza, a sandwich or in salad, but due to the health benefits I grab a handful & eat raw whenever I can.

McLean, VA - 7 yearss ago